The NYU Music Experience Design Lab (MusEDLab) researches and designs new technologies and experiences for music making, creative learning and engagement together with students, educators, non-profit, and industry partners. We focus on lowering barriers to and promoting creative expressions of all people across the lifespan. With locations in Brooklyn and Shanghai, the MusEDLab actively seeks collaborators and partners in the US, Europe, and Asia.
We offer contract design and consulting services to non-profit and industry partners sharing our expertise in arts education, technology, research and design. We implement a collaborative design process, engaging end-users and commissioning partners throughout from initial concept brainstorms & designs, through to prototypes, play testing, and the final products. We also license our technologies to commercial and non-profit partners in the music, education, and media technology sectors.
Our Portfolio of Services
- Creative experience design and learnign design
- Creative arts workshops for kids and novices of all ages
- Professional development workshops for educators and teaching artists
- Creative web application development (WebAudio, WebMIDI, Interactive visualizations)
- Interactive physical/digital product and installations
- Educational website development
- Educational research and evaluation
Contact Us! to learn more and inquire about our services.
The MusEDLab also serves as a creative incubator for student projects at NYU Steinhardt and NYU Shanghai. The MusEDLab was founded in September 2013 by S. Alex Ruthmann, and recently opened up a branch at NYU Shanghai in collaboration with the Program on Creativity and Innovation.
Learn more about the MusEDLab in Alex Ruthmann's TEDx talk...